OHSAS 18001 Occupational Health and Safety is an important part of the management of each organization, especially in relation to the legal requirements of the country in which the organization operates. A number of Occupational Health and Safety Assessment (OHSAS 18001) standards have been developed to help organizations develop health and safety policy. The new updated version called ISO 45001:2018 has already been published and released. This is based on OHSAS 18001 and other recognized OH & S standards and conventions. The standard requires an organization to identify and comply with the applicable OH&S legal – and other requirements. However, ISO 45001 also has some significant changes from OHSAS 18001.
The OHSAS 18001 certificate guarantees that the occupational health and safety management system implemented in the company has been assessed by an accredited certification body and complies with the requirements of the OHSAS 18001 standard.
Information on co-existing period and validity of certificates issued as per OHSAS 18001:2007 and timelines for transition to new version
- The new version ISO 45001:2018 has got published on March 12th , 2018
- ISO 45001:2018 issued in Oct 2018
- Transition period started on 12.03.2018 and will be over on 12.03.2021
- The validity of certificates issued according to the standards OHSAS 18001: 2007 is set in parallel – i.e. until 12.3.2021 at the latest
- Certification and recertification of management systems according to OHSAS 18001: 2007 will take place no later than 12.3.2020
- We recommend to all those interested in certification and recertification to plan in time to implement the requirements of ISO 45001: 2018 into their occupational health and safety management system.