Applicable to all EU Member States, the Radio Equipment Directive (RED) covers the standards for wireless devices used in the European Union. The RED has significant changes to its scope compared to the RTTE Directive and covers all products which have a radio interface, irrespective of their primary function. Along with significant changes for both manufacturers and the supply chain, the RED introduces obligations for importers and distributors of radio equipment.
Significant changes under the RED include:
- The exclusion of telecom terminal equipment (TTE)
- The addition of cable and wiring equipment
- New guidance on labeling, marking, documentation, re-badging, and market surveillance.
- Requirements for software and equipment capable of taking different configurations
- No voltage limits for radio equipment
The RED also offers greater clarity on requirements and more well-defined compliance responsibilities, providing a smoother testing and certification process.